Asphalt is a durable and long-lasting paving material that can be used for a variety of purposes, from driveways to parking lots. Paving with asphalt is a relatively simple process that most contractors can do. Once your asphalt has been installed, you may wonder how long you should wait before sealing it.
Asphalt is a black, sticky material made from petroleum. It is made up of bitumen, which is a tar-like substance, and aggregate, which is usually gravel or sand. When these two materials are mixed, they create a strong and durable asphalt surface that can withstand a lot of wear and tear.
The Paving Process
The asphalt installation paving process begins with the grading of the surface. It provides a level surface for the asphalt to be laid on. Once the surface has been graded, a layer of gravel is spread over it and compacted. To provide a stable foundation for the asphalt to be laid on.
Once the foundation has been prepared, the asphalt is heated to around 300 degrees Fahrenheit. It is then mixed with aggregate and spread over the surface that is being paved. A roller presses the asphalt into place and smooths it out.
Seal Coating Your Asphalt
Sealing coating your new asphalt driveway helps to protect it from elements and wear and tear. Sealing your asphalt driveway or parking lot has many benefits:
- Protects against weathering – The sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause the asphalt to become dry and brittle, leading to cracking. Sealing the asphalt helps to protect it from the sun’s damaging rays.
- Prevents staining – If you have an asphalt driveway, you know that oil and grease stains are difficult to remove. Sealing the asphalt will help to prevent these types of stains from setting in.
- Reduces fading – The sun can also cause the color of the asphalt to fade over time. Sealing it will help to preserve its original color.
- Makes it easier to clean – Dirt and other debris will not be able to penetrate the asphalt surface of sealed asphalt, making it much easier to keep clean.
- Helps to prevent cracks and potholes – Asphalt that is not sealed is more likely to develop cracks and potholes. Sealing the asphalt surface helps to fill in any small cracks that may already be present and prevents new ones from forming.
When To Seal Your Asphalt
Asphalt is a durable material but needs to be taken care of to get the most out of it. Keep it in excellent condition and prevent any damage from weathering or other elements.
After your new asphalt driveway has been laid, you probably think about how long after paving asphalt should be sealed. You should wait until at least the asphalt driveway or parking lot has to be sealed between six to twelve months after it has been installed. If you seal it too soon, the sealer will not adhere properly and will not be as effective leading to premature cracking. It will give the asphalt time to fully cure and harden.
To maximize the functionality of your sealcoating, you should have it done every two to three years. It keeps your asphalt looking new and prevents it from cracking or fading.
How Often to Seal Your Asphalt Driveway
There are a few elements to consider on how often to seal your asphalt driveway or parking lot:
- Climate – If you live in an area with a lot of rain or snow, you might have to seal your asphalt more frequently than someone who lives in a drier climate. The moisture can break down the sealer and cause it to degrade more quickly.
- Traffic – The amount of traffic your asphalt driveway or parking lot gets will also affect how often it needs to be sealed. A driveway only used by a few cars will not need to be sealed as often as a busy parking lot.
- Age and Condition – A newer asphalt driveway or parking lot will not need to be sealed as often as an older one. It is because the asphalt will still be in good condition and will not deteriorate as much.
If you are unsure whether your asphalt needs to be resealed, you can conduct a simple test. Add a small amount of water to the surface and see how long it takes to soak in. If the water soaks in immediately, it is time to reseal the surface. If you are still not confident, contact Biondi Paving & Engineering for a free consultation.
Hiring a Professional Paving Contractor
Biondi Paving & Engineering is a family-owned and operated business serving Sacramento, CA for over 35 years. We are a full-service asphalt paving company specializing in residential and commercial applications. We are fully licensed and insured, guaranteeing all of our work.
No job is too big or too small for us to handle. We take pride in our workmanship and always strive to provide our customers with the best possible service.
Sealing your asphalt is an important part of maintaining it and helping to extend its lifespan. So work with professionals like Biondi Paving & Engineering to help you with this task. Hiring a professional contractor like us can ensure the job is done properly, and we will also be able to offer you a free estimate. Contact us today to get started!